Information for new students
Welcome to study at Diak!
Please visit the subpages to find information on starting your studies in our Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes.
Absence in the first academic year
According to the Universities of Applied Sciences Act (see English translation), section 29, you can register as non-attending in your first academic year for the following grounds:
- service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women’s Voluntary Military Service (194/1995)
- maternity, paternity or parental leave
- incapacitation by personal illness or injury (Act 325/2015).
Due to Corona pandemic you may register as non-attending for the academic year 2021-2022 if you are hindered from entering Finland due to regulations set by the authorities.
To prove the legal grounds for your absence, please submit one of the following documents to the Admission Services by 16 July 2021, 3pm (Finnish time).
- a call-up order
- Kela’s certificate regarding maternity, paternity or parental allowance period or, if the certificate has not yet been received, a medical certificate regarding the pregnancy
- Sickness allowance decision or, if no decision exists, a medical certificate. The medical certificate must state which illness or injury the student suffers from, and that this condition prevents the student from beginning their studies on 1 August 2021. Obstacles caused by the practical arrangements required by the illness or injury: an adequate clarification, e.g. a certificate from the student housing foundation that the student is on the waiting list for an apartment required by his or her injury. Student’s own notification is not an adequate clarification.
If you do not submit your document by the deadline given above, you will be registered as attending for the academic year.