Diak is a national higher education institution with campuses across Finland: Helsinki, Pieksämäki, Pori, Oulu and Turku.
Diak has approximately 3,200 students in total and 260 employees.
The amount of students on Diak campuses
- Helsinki: 2,000 / 155
- Oulu: 350 / 39
- Pieksämäki: 400 / 33
- Pori: 400 / 17
- Turku: 150 / 16
Numbers are from autumn 2021.
Diak is a diverse community
Diak offers a multicultural and multi-faith learning and working environment. Students and employees are not required to be members of the Evangelical-Lutheran Church of Finland.
Our community members represent various faiths and world views.
Largest in the field of social work
Diak is Finland’s largest provider of UAS-level education in social work. In the health and social care sector, it is the only national UAS offering education and services for workplace organisations across Finland.
We offer degree programmes in nursing in three languages: Finnish, Swedish and English.
Diak is responsible for over 90% of the provision of UAS-level education that qualifies graduates for diaconal and youth work roles in the Evangelical-Lutheran Church of Finland. Approximately one in four of Diak graduates complete a diaconal degree.
Diak is the only Finnish UAS that offers education in public service interpreting.
Through its RDI activities, Diak participates in the regional, national and international development of its educational fields.
Diak is a privately owned university of applied sciences. The main shareholders are church foundations and institutions.
The Executive Group’s duties:
- decision-making on key development matters;
- preparation of decision-making matters for the Board and the Managing Director, Rector;
- oversight of operational and financial planning and assessment.
- CEO, Rector Elina Juntunen
- Director of Education, Vice Rector Pirjo Hakala
- Director of Innovations Elina Ylikoski
- Director of Human Resources Päivikki Rentola-Hemmi
- Director of Finance and Administration Anna-Kaisa Kiiski
- Director of Strategy Assi Kukkonen
- Head of Communications Aura Vuorenrinne
Board of Directors
The Diak Board of Directors includes several representatives from the world of work. This ensures a strong workplace focus in our activities, which is an important requirement for universities of applied sciences. In addition, the Board includes representatives of students and staff members.
The Board is responsible for
- decisions on the key targets, strategy and operating principles of the institution’s operations and finances;
- decisions on operating plans, finance plans and budgets;
- decisions on student numbers.
Diaconia University of Applied Sciences Ltd Board of Directors 2022–2023
- Director of Development Hannu Harri, Kirkkopalvelut, Chair of the Board
- Director Olli Holmström, Helsinki Deaconess Institute Foundation
- CEO Heikki Arikka, Diakon Palvelut
- Director Kalle Kuusimäki, National Church Council
- CEO Mikko Lapola, Oulun Diakonissalaitoksen säätiö
- Bachelor of Social Services student Halla Kokkonen, Diaconia UAS
- Lecturer Sanna-Maija Kohonen, Diaconia UAS
- Secretary, Education and Social Policy Terhi Peltokorpi, Vice-chair
Diak is a privately owned university of applied sciences. The owners are the following:
- Kirkkopalvelut Ry, 2 480 shares;
- Helsinki Deaconess Institute Foundation, 2,025 shares;
- Länsi-Suomen Diakonialaitoksen säätiö, 945 shares;
- Kirkon keskusrahasto, 800 shares;
- Oulun Diakonissalaitoksen säätiö, 500 shares;
- Turun Kristillisen Opiston säätiö, 300 shares;
- Helsingin Evankelisen Opiston säätiö, 250 shares;
- Suomen Raamattuopiston säätiö, 250 shares.