Skip to content

Separate application for finishing your studies

Did your study entitlement in Diak end but your bachelor’s degree is not finished yet?

You can apply for a new study entitlement for finishing your studies if you have lost your study entitlement due to not registering as an attending or non-attending student, you have not completed your studies within the normative duration plus one year or you have withdrawn from studies, and it has been a maximum of 10 years since the losing of your study entitlement counted from the application date.

To apply in the separate application for finishing your studies, you need to have at least 150 completed credits in Diak’s study register. If you do not have 150 completed credits in Diak’s study register, you can study at our open UAS until you are eligible to apply. Read more about tuition fees in the open UAS on this page.

The next separate application period will take place from 3 January 2024 to 15 May 2024.

Master’s degree programmes are not available in this separate application period.

How to apply

You can apply with this form. The form will be activated in the beginning of the application period.

On the form you are asked to submit a motivation letter where you are supposed to write about your motivation and your plan for finishing your studies. Describe which courses you need to complete and what is your plan to complete them (for example: if you need to complete your thesis, describe your situation with it now and your plan to finish it).  The length of the motivation letter is about one A4.

Student selection

The student selection will be made based on the information given on the application form, motivation letter and a possible admission interview. If the interview is needed, an invitation to it will be sent to the email address given on the application form.

Information about the student selection will be sent by email and we will also publish it to MyStudyinfo service within 30 days of receiving the application. You have to accept the offered study place within 7 days of the publication of the results.

Granting a new right to study

In the separate application process, the applicant may be granted a new right to study for the purpose of completing the unfinished degree. The new right to study is granted for the current curriculum and for a period based on the number of missing credits. In the calculation, applicants are expected to complete 30 credit points’ (ECTS) worth of studies per semester.

Your right to study may start during the same semester, if you are able to proceed in your studies taking into account the study modules offered during the semester. Otherwise, the new right to study will be effective from the start of the next semester.

Students who are admitted via this application process are not eligible to register as non-attending or request a discretionary extension. Not all completed studies are automatically transferred or accepted for credit towards the degree. Therefore, the number of credit points (ECTS) required for completion can be higher than the number of missing credit points (ECTS).

The new right to study can only be granted for the same degree programme and in the same language as previously attended.

According to one study place per term provision, you may accept only one offer of admission to a study programme leading to a higher education degree in Finland in education that begins in the same academic term (1.1.-31.7.2024). Please see for more information.

Tuition fee

Universities of applied sciences and universities in Finland charge Bachelor’s and Master’s level students a tuition fee for studying in languages other than Finnish or Swedish. EU/EEA and Swiss citizens are not charged the fee.

Please read more about Diak’s tuition fees on this page.

You are exempted from paying tuition fees if you have one of the documents mentioned below:

  • Passport or identity card to indicate the citizenship of EU/EEA/Switzerland
  • EU Blue Card
  • Continuous residence permit card in Finland, Type A permit. NB: A continuous residence permit (A-type permit) granted for studying in Finland (from 15 April 2022 onwards) doesn’t exempt student from paying the tuition fee.
  • EU Family Member’s Residence Card in Finland
  • Permanent residence permit card in Finland, Type P permit
  • EU residence permit for third-country citizens with long-term residence permit card in Finland (Type P-EU)

The document must be valid when your right to study starts. Please attach the document to your application form.

If you do not have a document that exempts you from paying the tuition fee and your new right to study starts in the middle of the semester, you are required to pay the tuition fee for the whole semester.

Health and functional capacity required for studies

If you plan to apply for a study programme leading to a degree in the fields of social services and health care, and humanities and education, you have to assess your own suitability to the field already at the application stage, on the basis of your health and functional capacity.

In social services and health care, studies include working with client groups requiring special protection, thus ethical requirements and requirements on patient or client safety are essential. Health and functional capacity of students shall be such that they are capable of performing assignments and practical training related to their studies. Studying and working in these professions requires sufficient physical, mental and social capacity. Please read more on the health and functional capacity requirements on web page.

Based on the applicant’s notification filed at the application stage, the university of applied sciences may require more detailed health status information to assess whether the student will be able to manage the studies and which reasonable support measures may be required.