Exchange studies at Helsinki campus
Diak offers bachelor level studies in English in the field of Social Services and Nursing at our Helsinki campus. Please find information about the study methods, available courses, course descriptions and the degree programmes below.
Academic calendar for exchange students:
- Spring semester 2021
- Semester dates: 7 January – 28 May
- Compulsory online orientation 4 – 5 January
- Autumn semester 2021
- Semester dates: 5 August – 20 December
- Compulsory orientation 5 – 6 August
Course timetables are available in course lists.
Blended learning as a mode of study
Studies at Diak are organised according to the blended learning model, which means that studies are practical, theoretical and to some extent also completed online.
In blended learning, learning processes are structured in a variety of ways and include distance learning as well as face-to-face contact.
The studies cover current research as well as practical work, and the study process is both individual and community-based.
In the online environment, key elements include community-based interaction among students and personal analysis of professional development.
For more information about the pedagogical guidelines for studying at Diak, check out the modes of study page.
Diak provides courses in Social Services and Nursing in the Autumn semester 2021.
Social Services courses, autumn 2021
- Management and Leadership (5 ECTS)
- Entrepreneurship in Social Service Sector (5 ECTS)
- Migration Locally and Globally (5 ECTS)
- Professional Skills for Working in Diversity Settings (5 ECTS)
- Disability in Diverse Contexts (3 ECTS)
- Community Development and Social Work Methods (5 ECTS)
- Child Welfare and Family Work (5 ECTS)
- Social and Rehabilitative Services for Adult Population (5 ECTS)
- Expertise in Work with Older People (3 ECTS)
- Participatory Group Supervision (3 ECTS)
- Finnish Basic Level Course, 3 ECTS
- Course list will be available in March 2021
- Finnish Basic Level Course, 3 ECTS
To find more information on the selected courses, please find them on Study catalogue.
Diak provides Social Services and Nursing courses in the Spring semester 2021. The course dates include examination period.
Social Services courses, spring 2021
- Crisis work, 5 ECTS, 1.2.2021 – 2.4.2021
- E-Skills, 5 ECTS, 26.4.2021 – 21.5.2021
- Exploitation in a Global Frame, 3 ECTS, 19.4.2021 – 21.5.2021
- Mental Health and Wellbeing, 5 ECTS, 18.1.2021 – 19.2.2021
- Project Management and Innovation, 9 ECTS, 11.1.2021 – 16.4.2021
- Social Action and Participation, 5 ECTS, 1.3.2021 – 9.4.2021
- Substance Abuse and Addictions, 5 ECTS, 7.1.2021 – 5.2.2021
Nursing courses, spring 2021
More information about the courses
The course descriptions can be found on Study catalogue.
“Hei, minä olen sosionomiopiskelija” – Do you wish to learn some Finnish during your stay? In Helsinki campus we are offering a basic language course in Finnish in the autumn semester!
Diak does not offer courses in Finnish for beginners in the spring semester, but you can study the OLS language online course in Finnish. Contact your home university’s coordinator for further information.
If you wish to a complete language course, we may be able to find a suitable one, but please note that we also offer free language tutoring, language cafes etc. at Diak. Also remember the other possibilities to learn the language, e.g. vocational institutes or open university of Helsinki are having good possibilities on this!
Erasmus in Schools
Erasmus in Schools is a nationwide programme aimed at all Erasmus students, international exchange and degree students interested in visiting local schools during their stay in Finland. This initiative is really highly recommended for social services students, here are three top reasons:
- You will learn more about the Finnish education system, which is well-known all over the World
- You can participate in a practical and concrete project and work alongside the teacher, but the hours and resources are fully negotiable, so it will not take too much time of other activities
- You will get an official certificate – and who knows some new contacts and new insights to your studies!
The Bachelor of Social Services Programme prepares students for various roles in social services. Studies in English and the multicultural study group offer students an opportunity to interact and learn in a genuinely international learning environment.
The specific focus in the study modules is on community development work, having emphasis on inclusion and empowerment, different forms of discrimination in societies and how to combat them.
Students learn about social work and social policy issues from the Finnish, European and global perspectives and develop skills in social analysis.
You can also request for a work placement in the field of social services at our Pori and Oulu campuses. Please note that we cannot guarantee the practical placements.
The new Nursing programme in English started in August 2020. The programme is offered jointly by Diaconia University of Applied Sciences (Diak) and Arcada University of Applied Sciences (Arcada). We will welcome incoming exchange students to the programme in the spring 2021.
Based on caring and nursing science, the curriculum includes multidisciplinary elements from natural sciences (such as anatomy and physiology, medicine and pharmacology) as well as social and behavioral sciences.
In addition there are also work placements at our Pori and Oulu campuses available.