Exchange studies at Helsinki campus
Diak offers studies in English in the field of social services at our Helsinki campus.
Study modules in the Bachelor’s Degree Programme in Social Services
The Bachelor of Social Services Programme prepares students for various roles in social services. Studies in English and the multicultural study group offer students an opportunity to interact and learn in a genuinely international learning environment.
The specific focus in the study modules is on community development work, having emphasis on inclusion and empowerment, different forms of discrimination in societies and how to combat them.
Students learn about social work and social policy issues from the Finnish, European and global perspectives and develop skills in social analysis. Please note that at the moment we can not guarantee the practice placements.
Health care studies
Unfortunately we do not currently offer health care studies in English. However, work placements are available.
Blended learning as a mode of study
Studies at Diak are organised according to the blended learning model, which means that studies are practical, theoretical and to some extent also completed online.
In blended learning, learning processes are structured in a variety of ways and include distance learning as well as face-to-face contact.
The studies cover current research as well as practical work, and the study process is both individual and community-based.
In the online environment, key elements include community-based interaction among students and personal analysis of professional development.
For more information about the pedagogical guidelines for studying at Diak, check out the modes of study page.
- Local and Global Welfare Policies, 5 ECTS
- Social Security in Finland, 5 ECTS
- Individual in the Community, 5 ECTS
- Introduction to Social Work, 5 ECTS
- Finnish Basic Level Course, 3 ECTS
- Child Welfare and Family Work, 5 ECTS
- Social and Rehabilitative Services for Adult Population, 5 ECTS
- Expertise in Work with Older People, 3 ECTS
- Disability in Diverse Contexts, 3 ECTS
- Participatory Group Supervision, 3 ECTS
- Community Development and Social Work Methods, 5 ECTS + Professional Developmental Tools in the Working Life, 2 ECTS
- Migration Locally and Globally, 5 ECTS
- Professional Skills for Working in Diversity Settings, 5 ECTS
The courses of 7th semester are not offered in autumn 2018.
More information about the courses
Detailed information is provided in the curriculum.
If you wish to participate in the modules of the Social Services programs, we recommend that you choose from our basic (B) and professional studies (P).
- Topical issues in Social Work, 5 cr
- Community Work Theories and Methods, 5 cr
- Development Across the Life Span, 5 cr
- Professional Communication in Social Work Practice, 3 cr
- Work with Young People, 3 cr
- Academic English 2, 2 cr
- Mental Health and Wellbeing, 5 cr
- Substance Abuse and Addictions, 5 cr
- Wider Context and Management of Professional Work, 5 cr
- Project Management and Development, 5 cr (also choose professional practice and organization development)
- Professional Practice and Organisation Development, 10 cr (also choose project management, slightly thesis-oriented)
“Hei, minä olen sosionomiopiskelija” – Do you wish to learn some Finnish during your stay? In Helsinki campus we are offering a basic language course in Finnish in the autumn semester.
Diak does not offer courses in Finnish for beginners in the spring semester, but you can study the OLS language online course in Finnish. Contact your home university’s coordinator for further information.
If you wish to a complete language course, we may be able to find a suitable one, but please note that we also offer free language tutoring, language cafes etc. at Diak. Also remember the other possibilities to learn the language, e.g. vocational institutes or open university of Helsinki are having good possibilities on this!
Erasmus in Schools
Erasmus in Schools is a nationwide programme aimed at all Erasmus students, international exchange and degree students interested in visiting local schools during their stay in Finland. This initiative is really highly recommended for social services students, here are three top reasons:
- You will learn more about the Finnish education system, which is well-known all over the World
- You can participate in a practical and concrete project and work alongside the teacher, but the hours and resources are fully negotiable, so it will not take too much time of other activities
- You will get an official certificate – and who knows some new contacts and new insights to your studies!