Student exchange at Diak
Diak is the largest higher education institution in social and health care sector in Finland. Diak offers international exchange students from our partner institutions excellent opportunities for studies and training at different campuses.
Diak is part of the Erasmus+ program and has various bilateral agreements with countries all over the world. If your institution is not listed as a partner, please contact us for more information about the application procedure.
We offer theory studies in the English-language Bachelor programme with a practical approach at our Helsinki campus.
In other locations, such as Pori and Oulu, we offer practical placements and online studies for our exchange students.
Autumn semester 2020 and COVID-19 pandemic
Diaconia University of Applied Sciences has decided to cancel all international mobility activities in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All physical student exchanges in 2020 are cancelled. However we do offer a virtual student exchange semester with online courses and online student activities in the autumn semester 2020.
Cancelling the physical exchanges was a very difficult decision to make. The decision is based on the recommendations given by the Rectors’ Conference of Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences and the risks and insecurity related to travelling during the pandemic. Health and safety of our students and staff is our first priority.
We offer virtual student exchange for nominated students in the autumn 2020. This way students can get an international experience from a distance. There are 8 online courses available, altogether 34 ECTS in the field of Social Services. We also organise an online orientation 7 August 2020 to help students to get familiar with the learning methods and tools used at Diak. Our student tutors are looking forward to get to know international students and support them during the online studies. Please let us know via email firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 June 2020, if you wish to complete online courses at Diak in the autumn 2020.
Online course list for autumn semester 2020:
Child Welfare and Family Work (5 ECTS) 17.08.2020 – 02.10.2020
Social and Rehabilitative Services for Adult Population (5 ECTS) 17.08.2020 – 02.10.2020
Disability in Diverse Contexts (3 ECTS) 19.10.2020 – 13.11.2020
Expertise in Work with Older People (3 ECTS) 28.09.2020 – 30.10.2020
Professional Skills for Working in Diversity Settings (5 ECTS) 10.08.2020 – 18.09.2020
Exploitation in a Global Frame (3 ECTS) 05.10.2020 – 13.11.2020
Management and Leadership (5 ECTS) 24.08.2020 – 09.10.2020
Entrepreneurship in Social Service Sector (5 ECTS) 24.08.2020 – 09.10.2020
How to apply?
Diak has two application periods:
- Deadline for the autumn term: 30 April
- Deadline for the spring term: 1 November
We have an online application process for incoming exchange students. We kindly ask you to fill in the requested information and submit the application and the required supporting documents.
Before applying, please familiarise yourself with our study module offering, placement possibilities and other practical information.
Academic calendar for exchange students:
- Spring semester 2020: 8 January – 29 May
- Autumn semester 2020: 10 August – 18 December
Compulsory orientation for incoming exchange students will take place 13-14 August. The courses will begin 10 August 2020.
- If you wish to study as an exchange student at Diak, you will need to be nominated by your home institution. Therefore, as a first step, please contact the international office of your home university.
- Once we have received the nomination, we will guide you through the application process. You can prepare the application by selecting the study modules you want to apply for. If you are applying for a work placement, please note that we have a limited number of placements available and they are organised according to the general training procedures in Finland.
- Submit your e-Application and electronic copies of the documents listed below. The application has a number of steps that you must complete in order for your application to be processed:
- application form in the Mobility Online system, including the motivation letter
- registration in the system and completion of personal information
- uploads of your passport photo, transcript of records (grades and study modules) and Learning Agreement.
- Helsinki campus students: Apply for HOAS student housing with an online form.The application instructions are available on the HOAS website. Application periods:
- For autumn semester: 1 April – 1 May
- For spring semester: 1 October – 1 November
- Diak will only process your application once we have received both the nomination and the completed application.
- Within approximately one month after the application deadline, you will receive information from Diak concerning your acceptance, as well as information on other practical matters.