Privacy statement: Data storage service relating to Justus publication information
Diaconia University of Applied Sciences Ltd
PO Box 12, 00511
Contact person for matters related to data protection
Liisa Leppänen, tietosuojavastaava
Kyläsaarenkuja 2, 00580 Helsinki
Register for data storage service relating to Justus publication information
The data storage service is used to collect information about publications produced by the staff of Diaconia University of Applied Sciences. The data are used by the Ministry of Education and Culture in the collection of publication data and by the data controller organisation for its own purposes (statistics, reports and the development of its publishing activities).
According to Article 6 of the General Data Protection Regulation, data processing is lawful only if, and only to the extent that, at least one of the following conditions is met:
a) The data subject has given their consent
b) The processing is necessary for implementing an agreement to which the data subject is a party
c) The data processing is necessary for compliance with the statutory obligations of the data controller
d) The data processing is necessary for safeguarding the vital interests of the data subject or some other natural person
e) The data processing is necessary for performance of some duty in the public interest, or the processing is necessary for the data controller ‘s exercise of their public power
f) The processing is necessary for fulfilment of the legitimate interests of the data controller or of a third party
The conditions to be met are a, d, e and f.
Personal data to be processed: Name
Other data to be processed:
- Author’s details (name, organisation/department, ORCID Id);
- Publication details: publication type, discipline, title, co-publication, year, authors, organisation authors (last name, first name, sub-unit/department) number of authors;
- Publication channel: Title of journal / publication series, volume, issue no., ISSN, ISBN, page numbers, JUFO-ID, language;
- Other publication details: keywords, internationality, DOI, permanent address, open access, self-archived, parent publication (title, editors), publisher (name, city, country, domestic/international). For conference papers, the established name of the conference in addition to the above;
- The system also records the organisation-specific log for user actions;
- Information transferred to the VIRTA publications information service is displayed on the public Juuli publications information portal and on the Research portal, where the information is freely available to anyone. Publications of research organisations can be browsed and searched for on both portals.
Periods for which data is stored: No position has yet been taken on the period of time for which information will remain in the JUSTUS service after it has moved to the VIRTA service.
Whether sensitive information (race/ethnicity, origin, political opinion, religious or philosophical belief, membership of a trade union, health-related information, sexual orientation or behaviour) is processed. Article 9: No.
- Justus publication information storage service;
- VIRTA publication information service;
- Vipunen education statistics service of the Ministry of Education and Culture and the Finnish National Agency for Education;
- Juuli publication information portal;
- Eduuni collaboration service ID.
- Staff of Diaconia University of Applied Sciences staff can enter the publication details of their own or others’ publications into the Justus service. For example, library staff will fill in the information based on a notice or other tracking;
- Justus can retrieve publication information from the CrossRef database with a DOI tag, and from the VIRTA publication information service using the publication title;
- Publication and reference databases, e.g. CrossRef, ARTO, Web of Science;
- Library staff will supplement or correct the publication information as necessary;
- Information can be stored continuously.
The Justus publication information storage service is implemented by the IT Center for Science Ltd (CSC), and enables the automatic entry of publication information and their storage in the VIRTA publication information service.
- Data held in VIRTA can be transferred based on a legal requirement or organisation-specific consent to various systems, which are described on the wiki page of the VIRTA service (Use of VIRTA’s Publication Information);
- Publication information of publications by Diaconia University of Applied Sciences staff is automatically saved from the JUSTUS service to the VIRTA publication information service, the Juuli Finnish research publications portal, the Research portal, and the Vipunen statistics service;
- The Ministry of Education and Culture annually collects publication data from higher education institutions and other research organisations via the VIRTA service. The Ministry collects and uses the data for purposes including oversight of higher education (the funding model, key targets, Ministry’s feedback), external reporting and horizontal cooperation with other administrative branches, and the reporting of the state of higher education in Finland.
The data are transferred in accordance with the data security guidelines of Diaconia University of Applied Sciences.
- Data from the register are transferred to the VIRTA database via the technical usage link to the Research Unit for the Sociology of Education at the University of Turku, the Academy of Finland and the OpenAIRE portal. The data are used in application and reporting processes relating to research funding. A research project ID may be added to publications in the VIRTA service;
- Internal reporting within Diaconia: the data are transferred from the storage service as Excel files to Diak’s intranet, and publication data are transferred to the Theseus repository.
The data is not transferred outside the EU or the European Economic Area.
A) Manual material
Is there manual data? No.
B) Digitally processed data
Is there data in electronic form? Yes.
If yes, how is the material stored and protected?
- The library compiles and maintains user instructions for the Justus service for staff;
- To obtain user ID, the user’s work email address must be registered with Eduuni. The person saving the publication information must identify themselves with the service using either their Haka user ID or Eduuni user ID;
- CSC – IT Center for Science Ltd is responsible for maintenance, protection, data security and data storage for the nationally centralised Justus service and the VIRTA publication information service. No position has yet been taken on the period of time for which information will remain in the service after it has moved to the VIRTA service;
- Access to data is restricted so that only library staff whose duties include validation of publication information can access the data for processing purposes. On their own initiative or at the request of the data subject, the data controller must rectify, erase or supplement any information pertaining to the data subject that is inaccurate, unnecessary, incomplete or out of date in regard to the purpose of the processing;
- Information entered by staff in the register itself can be checked by logging in to the service with the valid identifiers. The publications will be checked in accordance with the instructions of the Ministry of Education and Culture, after which they will either be accepted or rejected. Approved publications can be seen in the Juuli public information service;
- Diaconia University of Applied Sciences Ltd acts as the data controller for data protection when using the JUSTUS publishing data storage service. Diaconia University of Applied Sciences Ltd follows the applicable legislation for personal data processing and data protection. Diaconia University of Applied Sciences Ltd acts as the data publisher of the stored publication information for its own data, and is responsible for the content, accuracy and currency of the data it stores in the JUSTUS publication information service.
The data subject has the right to request access to personal data concerning him or her, the right to request correction or erasure of such data and the right to request restriction of the processing of it, the right to oppose processing or it, and the right to transfer from one controller to another.
The data subject has the right to withdraw their consent at any time without this affecting the lawfulness of the processing carried out prior to this withdrawal, if the processing of personal data is based on the consent of the data subject.
Upon request, the data subject may use the Diaconia University of Applied Sciences’ own model form.
The data subject has the right to file a complaint with the Office of the Data Protection Ombudsman.
Profiling is not carried out on the basis of personal data contained in the register.
If personal data is processed for direct marketing purposes, the data subject has the right at any time to oppose the processing of their personal data for such marketing, including profiling when it is related to such direct marketing.
The data protection officer is the contact person in matters relating to the rights and obligations of the data subjects. The contact details of the data protection officer are given at the beginning of the privacy statement.